Sunday, 16 February 2014

Double Chocolate Snickers Bar Cookies

Home alone on a Saturday night and was feeling really hungry while playing Iruna Online, this mobile phone game that I'm addicted to recently.  Was rummaging through my kitchen and came across a few packs of Betty Crockers cookie mix. I remembered buying these cause they were on sale but I kinda forget about them till now. I had like 6 packs of Double Chocolate Chunk cookies mix and 2 packs of Sugar cookies mix. And just nice, Daddy bought a Snickers Bar fun pack size yesterday so I decided to try something new. So yeah, I ended up making Double Chocolate Snickers Bar cookies. Normally, people usually made Snickers cookie with the regular cookie though, but I wanted to experiment with the double chocolate one.




Betty Crockers has a line of cookie mix, cupcake mix, brownie mix and even pancake mix. One good thing about their products is that it's really simple and convenient to do; especially great for beginners at baking. Their instructions are easy to understand and follow. Plus, they usually have a special recipe on each product. You can find different ones on their products and try them out. For this particular pack, it's a recipe called Chocolate Peanut Butter Dream Bars. The name of the recipe already sounds super delicious. Shall try baking this in future. hehe.




Anyway, on to the recipe. Here's how I did it.

First off, you need to get your stuff ready. I'm making a lot of cookies so I'm using 2 packs. Thus, my other ingredients doubled too. But one pack is really enough. You can get more than 20 cookies depending on the size you want.

Ingredients:

1 packet of Betty Crockers Double Chocolate Chunk Cookie Mix
1/4 Cup of Vegetable Oil
2 Tablespoons of Water
1 Egg
1 Packet of Snickers Fun Size (12 pcs)

Step 1: Before anything else, preheat oven to 350F (176C). Stir the cookie mix, oil, water and egg in a fairly big bowl. I'm using my favorite green mixing bowl. If you know me well, you'd know that I love bright colored utensils and kitchenware. Sometimes, I like walking to department stores to see the pretty pans and bowls. I have a small green frying pan too!

Cookie Mix

Egg
Oh, anyway, I usually beat the eggs and mix it with oil and water, then add them to the cookie mix. I have to stress that the amount of ingredients and how well you mix them really determines how your cookie will turn out. After mixing, you'll realize that a soft dough is starting to form. If the dough is too stiff, add a few teaspoons of water. You're gonna need some arm power for the mixing, seriously feel like I'm working out my arm muscles. haha.

Cookie Mix + Egg Mix

Cookie Dough.

Yes, the cookie dough looks a little like s***. But looks are deceiving okay; this is awesome stuff. So on to step 2.

Step 2: By now, you should have taken your packet out of the fridge and let it settle to room temperature. That way, it'll be easier to cut them. Basically you slice each bar into six pieces. You don't have to use the whole packet, about 6-8 bars will give be enough.





Once you're done with that. You can start dropping large spoonfuls of dough onto an ungreased cookie sheet. Unfortunately, I ran out of cookie sheet so I just greased on the pan. Please do get the baking sheet though. I prefer to roll the dough up in balls with my hands. I have a habit of spreading some margarine on my hand so the cookie dough doesn't stick to my hands and gives me problems.You can use a spoon if you don't wanna get down and messy. Then, flatten the dough and insert a piece of chopped up Snickers in the center. Wrap the dough around the Snickers. Do ensure to totally cover up the whole piece or the Snickers might start seeping out when baking later.


Looks kinda like a chocolate ball at the end huh? Moving on, time for step 3.

Step 3: Align the cookies on the pan  at least 2 inches apart. You don't want your cookies to merge halfway through baking now. With that, you're ready to bake them cookies. I only baked 9 pieces of cookies since it's a first attempt with Snickers. So in case it doesn't go well, it won't be such a waste.

Here's an estimated bake time. For a regular size cookie, its 8-10 mins for a shiny pan and 7-9 mins for a dark/non-stick pan. For a large size cookie, it's 11-15 mins for a shiny pan and 10-14 mins for a dark/non-stick one. Fyi, I'm making large cookies and using a dark/non-stick pan. This time round I'm gonna use my toaster oven instead of the huge oven I always use. I'm trying to save power. I've never really used my toaster oven other than for making brownies, honey cornflakes, pizza and toast. Hmm.. I guess I actually do use it a lot. But it's a first for cookies. Anyway, just bake as directed or just until its sets (the center will be soft). Then, let it cool for a minute or so before removing them from the sheet/ pan.

This is the toaster oven I'm using.
Selfie while waiting for cookies to bake because I'm bored.
And yes, that's my 'baking' hairstyle.

Initially as I was watching the cookies, they're weren't really baking well so I had to adjust my settings. I increased the temperature to about 200C and left them over 15 mins. That's the problem with toaster ovens, they're not as strong heat-wise compared to the conventional oven. So do take note and make necessary adjustments if you'r using one. Many people have been asking me about baking using toaster ovens so I hope this helps. Oh and just to make it clear, if your toaster oven is the old version with no temperature dial, you can't bake cookies or cakes well. After I let it cool, I then begun my taste test. So ta-da! Here's my cookies.

Yes, they're a quite bumpy but it's mainly because they have a lot of chocolate chunks inside. Taste-wise? It's just sinfully delicious. I think I put a little too much water cause the cookies are a bit soft and I prefer my cookies to be crunchy and hard. However, once I took a bite, the hardness of the cookie didn't really matter anymore. The combination of double chocolate cookies and Snickers are extremely good! It's a little like caramel chocolate cookies. Fattening with every bite. And purposely made the cookies large. haha.


Look at that Snickers.
Definitely a success. Not bad for a first try. However, I do think it's a little too sweet and no there's no sugar added. It's the sweetness of chocolate and Snickers together. I'll probably use the normal Chocolate Chip cookie mix the next time so that the taste isn't too overpowering. My mum tried some when she came home and her exact words were, "Wah, you trying to give us diabetes? " But she said that it was still nice, just not her kind of food. She likes spicy stuff more than sweet.

See that Snickers oozing out. Yums!

Luckily, I had made 9 pieces only. I don't think I'll be able to finish all that Double Chocolate Snickers Cookie. I can only take so much sweetness. In the end, I kept the remaining cookie dough in the fridge so I could bake ordinary Double Chocolate Chunk Cookies sometime later. Yes, you can store your bowl  of cookie dough, covered with plastic film,  in the refrigerator and bake later. Well, that's it for the cookie recipe. I'm probably not gonna bake for awhile now till my exams are over in May. But I wonder how much calories I gained for eating those Snickers cookies... And at night too. :(


No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...