Monday, 9 September 2013

Dell XPS 12 Ultrabook

After a lovely lunch meet-up with my fellow members of Publication, I had to attend a wedding at Telok Blangah. I really love weddings, not just the delicious food but also the lively atmosphere. Seeing guests singing their hearts out at the karaoke machines, teenagers spamming photos at the photobooth, and all in such a beautifully decorated setting as well; simply brought a smile to my face.
Somehow, it all ended earlier than expected in the late evening and my dad suggested going over to Singapore Expo for the COMEX Exhibition Show today instead of Sunday. So, we ended up going, even in heels, dresses and sparkling accessories. Luckily, I had some clothes which I was able to change into.
COMEX is probably one of the biggest IT & consumer electronic shows held in Singapore annually. There, you can find a great display of technological gadgets and products of various fields such as Home & Entertainment Lifestyle, Electronic Gaming, Digital Imaging and Computer Hardware & Software. This year, it was held at Halls 5 & 6 at the Singapore Expo, from 5-8 September. Anyway, my laptop was about 4-5 years old and while it was still in working condition, the processing speed is irritatingly slow. Furthermore, its battery can only last 5 minutes so I have to always plug in the charger that its become more like a desktop than a laptop. Being a computing student, it was fairly important that I get a new one as soon as possible before my project and assignments starts.
I had already looked through the brochures and floor plans online, with the plan of heading down on the last day of the exhibition. After browsing through the pamphlets, I had narrowed down my choices to Lenovo and Asus. However, when I was there, I somehow got drawn to the Dell XPS 12 Ultrabook. It wasn't all that eye-catching but it fit what I wanted in terms of specifications perfectly. I was mainly looking for a convertible ultrabook incorporating the touch screen features of a tablet and of course, a 3rd Gen Intel Core i7 processor was a must. Other products that I found appealing was the Lenovo Ideapad Yoga 13 and Asus Taichi. But after a long discussion with my dad, I felt that the Asus Taichi dual screen user interface was unnecessary and not worth the price while the Lenovo Yoga 360 flip would potentially expose the keyboard on surfaces being the base for the touch screen and only had a battery life of 6 hours. So I went with Dell XPS 12 not only because it was slightly cheaper, but also due to the design and specifications.

Dell XPS 12 Ultrabook

Dell XPS 12 (taken from Google)

Specifications:

Processor : Intel core i7
Speed: 2.6GHz
RAM: 4GB
Display: 12.5"
OS: Windows 8
Weight: 1.54kg
Battery Life: Up to 10 hours

Pros:

What I like about this product is the fast boot up and the functionality of both a tablet and a laptop. The screen rotation is also very practical compared to other similar products which incorporates a screen flip instead.

Cons:

If you're intending to use it more of a tablet, then this may not be the ideal choice as its a bit on the bulky side. It might also take some getting used to in terms of the touch sensitivity.

Overall: ★★★★

While it is a bit on the pricey side, I believe that it's still worth buying in terms of specification and design.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------


Right now, I'm surfing the net while still in bed, bundled up in blankets. I was supposed to meet my friends for laser tag today but I wasn't feeling well. It was one of those days where I had health issues again. I haven't been watching what I eat for the past month or so due to Hari Raya, so I wasn't all that surprised if my health had deteriorated. Anyway, I stayed home almost the whole day since I barely had the energy to walk and I had massive cramps and aches throughout my body.  I was freezing too that I put on 3 layers of clothing and wore floor socks at home. And no, the aircon and fan was not turned on. I was exhausted and tried to sleep off the pain after taking my medication. Somehow I slept 3 times already. Despite of it all, I have to head out soon for the last day of Hari Raya and its probably going to be another late night. I have school tomorrow too.

Sigh, trying to be healthy again.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...